A few pics

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Robin Adair

A few pics

Post by Robin Adair » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Just a few pics of recent models I've done. W-58 done in a poinsettia styling and coloring. With, and without stamens added

robertw
Site Admin

Re: A few pics

Post by robertw » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 am

Very nice! Looks very accurate too. Keep up the good work :)

Robin Adair

Post by Robin Adair » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Here's a W-76, the Rhombidoecadocecahedron approximately 23 inches tall, with each parallel plane a separate color (I think this was 23 different colors). I completed it about a month ago. It's too bad that the photos in the book "Polyhedron Models" by Wenninger aren't in color. Black and white just doesn't bring out the details.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:05 am

Also nice. Wow, it's big. I tend to make models about as small as workable, which generally means shortest edge between 0.5 and 1 cm.

I haven't made either of your models, I would make this model with about 16cm diameter, or 6.3 inches. About a quarter the size of yours.

The smaller they are, the more I can fit in a display case :) Big models are great though if you've got somewhere to store them.

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 am

This is one of my favourite uniform polyhedra and I like your model very much.
I once made this shape too but only with three colours. That‘s not really satisfying.

Ulrich

Robin Adair

Post by Robin Adair » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I think I should have gone for smaller, as you say it is hard to store. I thought about giving it to a classroom, thinking that they might have more room, but my daughter wanted it for her home. You may have noticed some creases. The pentagrams (stars) are the weak areas. I reinforced some of them with a thicker star glued to the interior, but I didn't like the way it deformed the surface. I also tried paper plates glued internally to the tabs. This seemed better.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes, a very nice model. Makes me want to reach for the glue...

Pete K