my vote for feature request

Suggest new features for Stella.
Robin Adair

my vote for feature request

Post by Robin Adair » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:09 pm

I definitely vote to have an option to eliminate 3d lighting. When attempting to custom color a model, it is a bit of a nuisance. For example, if I am using 3 different shades of blue, a light, medium, and a dark, when rotating the view, a light blue will change through the range of blues (by shadowing effects), making it difficult to tell which color is assigned to each piece.
Recently, I created custom colors, holding my paper up to the screen, and tuning the coloring to match the paper (as best as I am able). Then, I saved my work. When I reopened my project, the custom colors were no longer there. I don't know if that is normal operation for the program, or if I should ask for a feature to save custom colors.
Additionally, a feature to input color through a camera or picture would be nice. If I could scan my colors into the computer, I could have a better idea how the finished model will look.
I usually buy multi-color packs of card-stock and am limited by those colors.
Thanks

robertw
Site Admin

Re: my vote for feature request

Post by robertw » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:13 am

The option to disable lighting wouldn't be too hard to add. It will have to wait though as it will take a while to pull Stella back together into a releasable state.

Colours are saved to the .stel file, so I don't know what you did differently when you lost them.

You can of course scan your colours in another way, and then copy their RGB values for use in Stella. I'm not sure a built-in feature would make this much more convenient, so probably not worth the effort.