Truncation of Polyhedra

Suggest new features for Stella.

Do you think you would use such a feature, if it were added to your version of "Stella?"

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Uncertain
No votes

Total votes: 2

RobertLovesPi

Truncation of Polyhedra

Post by RobertLovesPi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:10 am

Pretty self-explanatory. This added function would let you make truncations at every vertex of the polyhedron on the screen. The truncation-plane would be perpendicular to a line between the polyhedron's center, and the vertex in question. Truncation "depth" being at the control of the user might be interesting, as well, although making that user-friendly would be tricky.

Here's another idea: if you use this "truncate" function with a vertex selected, then the truncation only happens at that vertex. This could create some new ways to explore polyhedral symmetry-types, and how they relate to one another.
You can see many of my creations with "Stella 4d" at http://www.robertlovespi.wordpress.com.

guy

Post by guy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Rob,

'Fraid I am still firmly wedded to Linux and can't be ***ed with WINE so my copy of Stella is equally firmly parked for the foreseeable.

I would think that all the basic operations one encounters - truncation, bevelling, runcination, etc. - would be worth implementing, if only to help us learn-by-doing what they actually involve.