Show coplanar edges in net printouts

Suggest new features for Stella.
EricRegener

Show coplanar edges in net printouts

Post by EricRegener » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:53 pm

The option 'Show edges" gives a really nice looking visualization. I like viewing the edges that are coplanar with star faces. In the models I made way back when, I always carefully drew these edgelets. Without them, octagrams, and specially decagrams, tend to look sort of "blah." If you can see the coplanar edges, it gives the faces way more life & clarity. This option would also be useful in the 2-3 snubs that have coplanar faces -- e.g. the first one in the Stella4D list.

Is it possible to print these edges on the unfolded net printouts via some option? I can't seem to find this possibility. Stella does everything, why not this?

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:49 pm

You can't really do it at the moment. Stella creates a kind of external shell of the (possibly self-intersecting) model in order to create nets, but this shell no longer has the edges you're after. I'll keep it in mind for later though, and maybe find a way later.

Thanks,
Rob.

EricRegener

Post by EricRegener » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:51 am

Rob, thanks for your reply. Actually it's not hard to put in the edgelets by hand. I simply print the whole unfolded net to PDF and open the PDF file in CorelDraw. The "snap to" options in CorelDraw make it easy to apply the edgelets accurately, at least at the low level I'm at so far. Exporting back to PDF finishes the process.

Of course it would be nicer to have them drawn automatically, but you can't have everything!

Eric