Great ditrigonal dodecicosidodecahedron

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Peter Kane

Great ditrigonal dodecicosidodecahedron

Post by Peter Kane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:19 pm

After much ado about nothing, I decided to abandon my previous attempt at MW 81 and start from scratch. This time I used a combination of standard and pastel colours (for the triangular faces). I also changed to Canford card; its expensive, but the colours are lovely and I was able to use two weights of the same colour (300gsm for the decagrams and 170gsm for the pentagrams). The decagrams need to be quite strong or they will bend. I used tabs on all but the decagrams, which had none.

After all that, I hope this link displays OK. First time I tried this.

Pete K

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m62 ... 0small.jpg

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:26 pm

I think I meant to do this:

oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 am

What do you use to draw the shapes of the faces prior to cutting out?

Certainly the colours do look good - I've always felt that the card that I use looks a bit drab!

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 am

oxenholme wrote:What do you use to draw the shapes of the faces prior to cutting out?

Certainly the colours do look good - I've always felt that the card that I use looks a bit drab!
I used Stella nets for this one. Sometimes I use a program of my own, but mostly I use Stella now. I take the Stella printouts and transfer the polygons onto photo card: put the printout on top of the card, poke a hole though each vertex, (optionally) reposition the card and repeat, then draw lines on the photo-card with a CD pen. This gives me my tailor-made template which I then use to create the shapes using coloured card. This time I score the lines with a tool I got from a DIY store (a sharp spike). The scoring process is tedious, but I find it easier to "join the dots" than to score over a printed line (I miss too many that way).

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the colours in the photo, but having compared this image with the original, it looks pretty close to me. Canford card is relatively expensive, but the colours are vibrant. The pastel triangles are made from cheepo card.

Pete K