Double Tabs.

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Gronkling

Double Tabs.

Post by Gronkling » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:37 pm

I use single tabs but they make my paper go soggy, the lines blur and you can somtimes see them through the paper. I want to use double tabs but when I do my models end up with large cracks in the sides.
I fold the tabs, put glue on them both and then use tweezers to squeeze them together but they just end up separating a bit again and making the edge look very ugly.

What am I doing wrong?

guy

Post by guy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Sounds like the paper is too thin and/or the glue too watery. Depending on the ink, different glues have different effects on the lines.

I use a thick art paper or even thin card, and a non-water-based quick-drying glue such as Bostik. But I have to be careful with laser printers, because Bostik dissolves the toner.

Bostik quickly goes tacky, giving time to position the tabs, squeeze together and hold for a few seconds until it sets rubbery enough to let go. The paper or card needs to be sturdy enough not to buckle or twist while this is going on.

Other people swear by other materials and techniques, so the best thing is to try all sorts and decide for yourself.

Gronkling

Post by Gronkling » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for your help. My glue isn't that good for model making, its stringy and takes around ten minutes to set.

oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Sat May 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Gronkling wrote:Thanks for your help. My glue isn't that good for model making, its stringy and takes around ten minutes to set.
Try using Balsa Cement. It dries very quickly.

What sort of paper or card are you using? Cartridge paper works OK, but I'm happier using 160 gsm card.

I never use single tabbing now. Double tabbing seems to give a much more rigid polyhedron.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 am

Actually, that's a point I haven't mentioned before about double-tabbing, that it creates a more rigid connection, as it's like there's a third piece attaching at that edge, like an inner ribbing.

I use 120gsm paper. I found that even 160gsm was too thick. The paper seems too thin till the model comes together and holds itself in place. Standard printing paper is 80gsm, so the paper I use for models is only 50% thicker.

For glue I use Aquadhere. No idea if that's available outside Australia. It's a PVA glue, meant for wood.

Get some bent needle-nosed tweezers to push the tabs together.

Rob.

Gronkling

Post by Gronkling » Sun May 16, 2010 11:28 am

Got some better glue that dries almost instantly.
Now I just need some angled tweezers. : )

Gronkling

Post by Gronkling » Wed May 26, 2010 7:12 pm

I finally found some angled tweezers and made my first sucsessful double tabbed model (A hexagonal prism (Not sure why this one hadn't been done)). There's still a few rough edges but I'm getting there!