Pentagonal Cabinet with Dodecahedron

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
RTChoke

Pentagonal Cabinet with Dodecahedron

Post by RTChoke » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Just bought Stella4D, will be using it to cut facets on my CNC machine thence to make wood realizations of the various shapes. I build furniture after a career of sorts in the high-tech sector, engineering background.

I got compulsive a coupla years ago about building furniture/art pieces based on mathematical principles, I made this piece and entered it in the Texas Furniture Maker's Show a coupla years ago and won a prize. (I can't figure out how to do an image insert).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39843528@N03/3663619724/

The dodec was pretty easy to make, not so easy to make uniform, but I got it done pretty well. I did it on my compound miter saw using some printed patterns and proper compound angle settings. The top and bottom separate, so it is like a box. It has 6 kinds of wood, and moves with the seasons a bit so it was tight when I made it but changes all the time. I have some other ones that are a bit smaller, they are kinda fun to make.

I look forward to sharing new constructs as I make them!