Selecting issue

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
ndl

Selecting issue

Post by ndl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi,

I just got a new computer and installed Stella 4d with the same installer that I had before, but I'm having a new issue that when I try to select vertices (measuring or faceting) it will often select something else instead of the vertex I was intending to select.
Any help would be appreciated.

robertw
Site Admin

Re: Selecting issue

Post by robertw » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:47 am

Is it higher DPI? If so it might be that you need to be closer to the point now for the selection to work, ie same distance in pixels but smaller pixels. I can't remember off-hand if that's how it works, or whether it takes DPI into account, but that could be it.

Otherwise, not sure.

When you say it selects something else, is it something behind the mouse at least?

ndl

Post by ndl » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:36 pm

It is higher dpi, but I'm very exact in my selecting. Also it's not selecting something behind, it's selecting a completely different element, and only when I click directly on an element. In faceting it's only a problem in "faceting mode", but with measuring tool it's always a problem.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:11 am

Is it selecting the same type of element, eg click on a vertex but it selects a different vertex? Or could it select a face for example?

Does it happen on all polyhedra? Or only complex ones?

Are you saying it only happens in Faceting mode and Measurement mode? Or is it any time you select a vertex, even in the normal mode?

Not sure what I can do about this since I can't reproduce it. But would be interested if you could send a screenshot showing where you clicked and what got selected.

Thanks.

ndl

Post by ndl » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:12 pm

It happens in measurement mode selecting any type of element, and it will instead select a completely different element can be of different type. It's consistent in that any given element will always produce the same selection results.
It's any polyhedron even simplest (but not with 4D that works fine, except 3D cell of 4D object also exhibits same issue).
It's measurement mode and faceting mode, but faceting tool in regular view works just fine.

ndl

Post by ndl » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:13 pm

Update on this selecting issue:

It seems to be happening now with the regular selection tool as well, but only the shift left click and no other combination. Any leads?

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:30 am

I just tried again here, but can't reproduce it. It's very hard to track down at my end unless I have a way to replicate it. Also means it's probably related to the device you're on. So I'm afraid there's probably not much I can do.

I don't suppose it makes a difference which Shift key you use? Grasping at straws, but they do actually send different events so who knows. Also, double-click is mostly the same as Shift-click. Do you have the same issue using double-click?

If you could do a screen-capture video it would help me to see exactly what's happening, but to be honest it's unlikely to help. I'd still be interested though just to better understand the issue, and you never know, I might spot something relevant.

ndl

Post by ndl » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Both shifts and double click all produce the same result, even when I map the shift key to a mouse button. It seems ctrl left click is also sometimes effected. Obviously is something specific to my machine.

Mecejide

Post by Mecejide » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:51 pm

I’m having the exact same problem. I suspect it has something to do with the version of Windows I’m using.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:45 am

Aren't we all on pretty much the same version of Windows? More likely related to the graphics card you have. But I still don't know what the issue is.

_Geometer

Post by _Geometer » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:07 pm

I have a similar problem with stellation mode, where trying to select one cell selects something far away. Sometimes, zooming in prevents this problem from happening, but it's an inconsistent fix.

SamHb

Post by SamHb » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:02 am

I was also having this problem, but found by accident that it works fine when 'Use spheres and cylinders' is selected. It's only when this mode isn't selected that the problem appears.