Searching Stella for a specific polyhedron

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
eligius1427

Searching Stella for a specific polyhedron

Post by eligius1427 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:28 pm

Hello, I am new to Stella 4D Pro as well as Polyhedra outside of the common ones. I use polyhedron shapes as the starting points for large public art sculptures and I'm using the program to explore the thousands of different shapes that are out there. Is there a "search bar" function on Stella 4D Pro? I see the drop down menus with the libraries, but I don't have the background knowledge to figure out which category/variation the polyhedrons are in. The shape I'm looking for currently is a Pentagonal Hexecontahedron, but I have not been able to find it. Supposedly it is a variation of a Snub Dodecahedron which I was able to find, but could not get any further than that. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Jake

robertw
Site Admin

Re: Searching Stella for a specific polyhedron

Post by robertw » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:24 pm

The Pentagonal Hexecontahedron is the dual of the snub dodecahedron.

There is indeed a search bar, although you can't find everything that way, but it works for any polyhedra that are built-in.

Open the list of provided polyhedra from either the menu or toolbar:

This opens a browser with a search bar at the top:

Start typing in "Pentagonal Hexecontahedron" and at some point it will highlight the snub dodecahedron. In the section at the bottom under "Dual names" it will show that the dual is the "Pentagonal Hexecontahedron".

Hit OK or Enter and you'll see this:

By default Stella opens with the base view on the left (showing whatever polyhedron you've currently got loaded) and the unfolded net view on the right. But now you need the dual view to see the model you're after. Click Yes and it will change your current view to a dual view so you can see the model.

You might want to try Ctrl+3 (or any number from 1 to 6) to switch to other layouts showing more or less views at once.

eligius1427

Re: Searching Stella for a specific polyhedron

Post by eligius1427 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Thank you so much! Found it right away.