software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Icosahedon 5 compound - anyone tried making one?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
indigotwilight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Icosahedon 5 compound - anyone tried making one? Reply with quote

I've just started building the compound of 5 dodecahedra, and thought it might be nice to make its dual, the compound of 5 icosahedra, as well. The pair look like they'd make a nice set.

I've noticed, though, that the icosahedron 5 compound has some overlapping faces which causes stella4d to display nets that are not quite right. I'm thinking of ways to build this model, whilst still retaining the 'colours' unique to each icosahedron. I think the best way is to split the shared facet into two overlapping parts (a little like tongue and groove maybe), but would welcome other suggestions/ideas.

So, has anyone tried building one? The model on the whole looks easier to build than the dodecahedron-5 compound.

Twi
oxenholme

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made the compounds of 5 dodecahedra and 5 rhombic triacontahedra, but not 5 icosahedra.

Sadly yet another computer has bitten the dust, so I no longer have access to Stella, but I've made several polyhedral compounds with coplanar pairs of faces. I've always split the common area down so that the edges of the individual polygons are preserved - it can be a pain to make and a tad difficult to keep the twinned faces completely flat.

Compounds of three and four rhombic dodecahedra spring to mind.
Ulrich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of the coplanar pairs of faces of my five-octahedra-compound I always chose one "dominating" face, which defines the colour of the common area. In my Small Snub Icosicosidodecahedron, the common areas of the overlapping triangles are coloured red, while the outer parts are yellow resp. black. Both methods are not really satisfying.
I still didn't build a five-icosahedra-compound.

Ulrich
oxenholme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five Icosahedra looks a pain to make in such a manner that the end result is rigid.

I fancy having a go. The problem being that the "trough" double tabs (thirty of them) are not continuous colourwise. It will take a lot of care adding reinforcement without getting balsa cement where it shouldn't be.

I've made the compounds of Six Icosahedra and Six Dodecahedra with icosahedral symmetry. Six Icosahedra was a pain, Six Dodecahedra went smoothly.
oxenholme

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my surprise I have made the compound of Five Icosahedra - it must have been about twenty years ago.

It's on the bottom row in this picture, second from the right...
Peter Kane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that one on the top left ? It looks familiar.

Pete K
oxenholme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Six Dodecahedra

My second attempt. My first attempt was cut short when it got demolished by a football flying across the room!
Peter Kane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, stick to table-tennis in future.

That's a nice collection you have on display there.

Pete K
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedra All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: