Can you see what this is ?

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Peter Kane

Can you see what this is ?

Post by Peter Kane » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm sure that most of you saw it straight away, but it had me fooled until after I'd finished it. It is a compound of ten cubes, but I was convinced at first that it was a compound of only five - until I twigged that there were some corners missing. The ten cubes are aligned with the five incomplete cubes that I thought I was seeing.

I stumbled upon this when playing "the stellation game" with Stella, with a triacontahedron as base. I don't know how long I'd been clicking at this point, but I think it was about 20 or 30 stellations in.

Hope you like it. It looks very good next to a compound of five tetrahedra in the same colours.

Pete K

guy

Post by guy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Ten cubes? Aren't there four of each colour, making 4 x 5 = 20 in all?

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:54 pm

guy wrote:Ten cubes? Aren't there four of each colour, making 4 x 5 = 20 in all?
Yes, you are quite right ! How could I possibly think that there were 10 ?
Well spotted, Guy.

Pete K

oxenholme

Post by oxenholme » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 pm

This polyhedron is one of 5 that I intend to make.

Its tetrahedral equivalent is a stellation of the regular dodecahedron. I made it last year.

Its octahedral and cubic equivalents are both stellations of the pentagonal icositetrahedron. I made both a year or two ago.

Its icosahedral equivalent is a stellation of the pentagonal hexecontahedron. No doubt it will be a pain to make. I'm not sure whether it can be made using 5 colours.

This one is a stellation of the rhombic triacontahedron - I'm going to make it using 15 colours.