Gyro expanded truncated cube

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
falmbeau

Gyro expanded truncated cube

Post by falmbeau » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi,

I'm fascinated by the Stewart Toroids, and guided by the library in Great
Stella I built this gyro expanded truncated cube with Polydron.

Larger image:
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... 6_0152.jpg

Best Wishes,
James

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:12 pm

James,

I've never really paid them much attention, but having read your post, I thought I'd take a look with Stella (it great for just playing around, isn't it ?) and I can see the attraction.

I'd never heared of Polydron before (see what a sheltered life I lead ?), so I took a look at their website. It seems a bit expensive, given that it is made of platics, but I suppose it a niche market. I might get a bucket for my daughter.

Pete K

falmbeau

Post by falmbeau » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 pm

Peter Kane wrote: I'd never heared of Polydron before (see what a sheltered life I lead ?), so I took a look at their website. It seems a bit expensive, given that it is made of platics, but I suppose it a niche market. I might get a bucket for my daughter.
Hi.

It is used a lot in schools in the UK, I heard about it through my better half who is a teacher.

I have been able to find new sets at 50% - 75% of full price by watching eBay UK for a while.

The open-centred pieces, called Frameworks, are cheaper than the filled-in ones. They are also slightly thinner so they can be hinged to a tighter dihedral angle (about 42 degrees) before starting to separate.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:16 am

Oh dear, I've been tempted...

Thanks for the hint: it was half price on ebay, although I did end up spending twice as much as intended.... Still, you can't pass up a bargain, can you ?

Its, for my daughter Maragaret, who designed my avatar (It is actually a Father's day card).

Cheers,

Pete K

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm

There are quite a few similar products around. The only ones I've had direct contact with are GeoShapes, aka GeoAustralia, and GeoMag. The former snaps together while the latter is magnetic. Both have hollow transparent faces with panels that fit in, which makes them a bit different from Polydron, so it just depends what you like.

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Rob,

Thanks, I'll check out GeoShapes. We already have Geomag, which I like a lot, but nothing quite compares to the "fun" of a cardboard model.

Incidentally, can Stella help you to build a model like the one you use as your avatar ?

Cheers,

Pete K

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:22 am

I agree that paper models are ultimately the best, but they do take longer to make of course.

And yes, I used Stella to create the model in my avatar and print its nets. Read about that model here:
http://www.software3d.com/StelSSTD.php

Ulrich

Post by Ulrich » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:22 am

Alex Doskey, who is no 4 in the memberlist, has done a lot of work on the Stewart Toroids and he also deals with "Jovo Toys".

Ulrich

Peter Kane

Post by Peter Kane » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:39 am

Rob,

Thanks for the info. I'll put in on my ever-increasing list of coveted polyhedra.

Pete K