software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rubik's Cube-style puzzle made from paper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: New Rubik's Cube-style puzzle made from paper Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I just posted pictures of a Rubik's Cube-style puzzle I made from paper with help from Stella. Unfortunately it's a bit too temperamental to really use as a puzzle, but it does work if you do the twising very carefully and help parts to go where they should.

Here's the page: http://www.software3d.com/ShallowDino.php

Rob.

oxenholme

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested that Martyn Cundy (co-author of Mathematical Models) showed me a "Rubik's" rhombicosidodecahedron that was made from card many years ago.

When it was first made it had worked well, but by the time I saw it it had started to come apart.
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I hadn't heard of it, although I think the same thing has been made in plastic now, as a modification to the megaminx puzzle.

I'd love to see pictures of it, especially the insides. I wonder how well it operated. No doubt its mechanics worked better than mine Confused

Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: