software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faceting for Polychora

Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Stella Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Faceting for Polychora Reply with quote

One feature I would like to see is the ability to facet a polychoron - One project I would like to do is generate the vertex figures of the polytera and this feature would make it go a whole lot faster than writing OFF files for each one.

Any chance that this could be added, one way to impliment it is by selecting four vertices in the polychoron - and this generates a realm and highlights all corealmic vertices, then we can use these to do 3-D faceting on to generate a 3-D cell.
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the radio silence lately. I've been moving house and had trouble getting internet connected again!

Faceting in 4D presents some problems. In 3D, a facet is repeated over the symmetry group, but in 4D I don't know what the symmetries are! Stella4D does a good job of identifying cells/faces/edges/verts of the same type, but this is based on various heuristics and can be wrong. So repeating a 3D facet is not straight forward. Establishing all the symmetries of a 4D polytope is not straight forward either. So for now I don't know a way to implement 4D faceting. And it would be too tedious to create each individual facet one by one.

Rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Stella Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: