software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wall Thickness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamp856

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Wall Thickness Reply with quote

I am making plutonic objects out of wood. I have had resonalble success. I want to take the objects I make, put them in a wood lathe and turn them into spheres. Does anyone know how to calculate the thickness of the wood before it is turned to achieve a final wall thickness of 1/2"

Hamp
guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the wood will be thinnest in the corners and thickest at the centre of each piece. Assuming you want at least 1/2" everywhere, you need to:

Take the difference between the inradius (radius of the sphere tangent to the faces at their centres) and the out- or exradius (of the sphere tanget to the vertices). That tells you how much fatter each piece is in the middle.

As a rough approximation, add 1/2" to get the starting thickness. You could calculate more accurately but it would depend on some complicated angles of each Platonic, so personally I'd just round the number off to a handy thickness - if it's a tetrahedron I'd round down.

HTH
hamp856

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Thanks a bunch for the info. I see in Stella 4-D under the Scale Tab an item for "inradius" but I don't see the "out Radius" There are several tabs underscale. Which would you use ?

This week end I was able to build a "Rhombicosidodecahedron". I had good success for a first shot. I made it out of MDF plywood since it was prototype. It is about 13" in dia. I'll post a picture as soon as I can get my hands on a digital camera.

thanks for your help.
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circumradius (or out-radius) is simply referred to as "Radius". Technically speaking, a polyhedron may not have a circumradius, which would have to go through all points, so I just use the more generic term radius.
hamp856

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I see the objects you build. What material do you use. How do you cut the angles necessary?

I am experimenting with a product called "Sign Foam" which is "high density polyunrethane. It is perfect for these objects.

Thanks,

Hamp
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that question's for Guy? I only make models from paper. Just wanted to answer the part of the question I could Smile
hamp856

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an "Archimedan Rhombicodidodechedron" how do I post a picture of it?[/img]
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread, about posting images: http://software3d.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=23
guy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertw wrote:
I presume that question's for Guy? I only make models from paper. Just wanted to answer the part of the question I could Smile

No, I don't post images of real models (except the odd icosahedron in a museum that I think may have been made by H.T. Flather of Coxeter, Du Val, Flather and Petrie fame).

And yes, circumradius is the usual term. I knew that. Sad
hamp856

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: archimedan rhombicosidodecahedron Reply with quote

If am building a "archimedan rhombicosidodecahedron" how do I calculate the # of vertices?

Thanks,

Hamp
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stella shows number of vertices in the Info window.

Otherwise, you could note that each vertex touches exactly one pentagon. There are 12 pentagons, and so 5 x 12 = 60 vertices.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: