software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eliminate lighting effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Stella Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Kane

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Eliminate lighting effects Reply with quote

Would it be possible to turn off the lighting effects, so that colours are not changed as the polyhedron rotates ? Being red-green colourblind, I see face colours apparently change (for example, from green to yellow) as I rotate the model. I do this so that I can determine the arrangement of colours around each vertex, but as the colours appear to change, I can easily lose track of where I am.

Alternatively, perhaps it might be possible to display numeric labels at each vertex ? Mind, you it would probably be easier for you (and better for me) just to print a report showing vertex colours.

Pete K
guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that with no light source, things would get pretty black.

I'm also guessing that any polychromatic light source will have consequences for one form of colour-blindness or another.

How about an option for a monochromatic light source to match the raw pixels - choice of red, green or blue.
Peter Kane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm looking for is an option to maintain the same RGB values for all pixels as they move position. I don't think that this necessarily implies a monochromatic light source, but I'm no expert in this area. personally, I don't need to be able to look at a patch of colour and identify it correctly; I just don't want it to change due to shading.

Pete K
guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stella uses OpenGL (the Open Graphics Library) for rendering. AFAIK this is just like the real world in that it needs a light source or everything looks black. The 3D rotation, perspective and stuff is also handled by OpenGL, so decoupling the colour from the rest of the software might be a problem. At least, that's what I would expect.

The good thing about monochrome light is that the shade of colour would be constant, it would just get darker or lighter when lit from a different angle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Stella Feature Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: