Colour problem

Show us your models and discuss model-making techniques. Paper? Wood? Single vs double tabs? etc.
Ericbludax

Colour problem

Post by Ericbludax » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:24 am

I am having trouble with my first "proper" model, the great icosahedron. When I print out the net the colour arrangements on the vertices only match the first one, and for the life of me I cannot make them fit together.

Help

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:51 am

I just tried it, and it seems to work for me. You're using a colour printer I take it to colour in the faces? (I mostly use coloured paper and just print the outlines). When I tell it to mix colours, each copy of the net is correctly getting a different arrangement of colours. Are you not seeing that?

As far as putting them together, look at the 3D net view to find where your various nets go.

Rob.

Ericbludax

Post by Ericbludax » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks Rob

Yes, I am using a colour printer, and it certainly prints each copy with a different arrangement. The problem is that the first copy matches the arrangement for vertex 1, but the rest do not seem to match with any of the vertices and I have not found it possible to find an arrangement of them that gives all the parallel planes the same colour.

Is there a relationship between the vertex numbers and the order of printing ?

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:09 am

Hey, sorry about this, but it looks like you have indeed found a bug! I looked a bit closer and you're right. It seems the triangles surrounding each vertex are correct, but some of the smaller triangles hanging off them have their colours swapped around. I'm surprised no one came across this before! I'll try to fix it, but I'm afraid it won't make it into a new version till the next major release (still some time off).

In the meantime, maybe use Cutting Mode to split the nets up smaller, putting the smaller triangles in their own paired nets. That will hopefully work as a work-around for now.

Sorry about that! And thanks for reporting it.
Rob.

Ericbludax

Post by Ericbludax » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks Rob. I'll give it a try. Sorry to be such a pain at my first attempt!