software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compounds of Cubes & Tetrahedra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcelteun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Compounds of Cubes & Tetrahedra Reply with quote

I understand that it is not straightforward to create compounds in Stella (I don't use Stella myself, yet). Therefore I thought that Stella users might be interested in the fact that I have some archives with off files available:

http://www.tunnissen.eu/polyh/TetrahedraCompounds.off.zip
http://www.tunnissen.eu/polyh/CubeCompounds.Off.zip
http://www.tunnissen.eu/polyh/OctahedraCompounds.Off.zip

The following pages contain some more info about these compounds:
http://www.tunnissen.eu/polyh/tetrahedra-compounds.vrml.html
http://www.tunnissen.eu/polyh/cubecmps.vrml.html
http://www.tunnissen.eu/polyh/octacmps.vrml.html

Since I don't really use off files myself, errors might exist in these archives. Feed back is always welcome (even though I might be too busy with other things to fix any problems immediately)

/Marcel Tünnissen
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcel!

I tried them, and the OFF files seem to open easily in Stella. along with their nets. All 357 could all be loaded, but Stella failed to create nets for 5 of them, claiming possible accuracy errors, but who knows. I'll have a look sometime and see if I can shed any light on it.

The easiest way to step through all these in Stella is to put all the OFF files in a single folder. Open one, and then just use the Right arrow to step through them all one by one Very Happy

Most are multi-coloured, but I found one compound of cubes with only a single colour: 12.A4xI.ExI.off. In Stella it is easy enough to recolour them with different colours for each component in the compound. Just hit Shift+A (Menu: Color->Color as a Compound). Oh, this one with octahedra is also a single colour: 24.S4xI.ExI.off.

This compound of tetrahedra has an error: A5xI_C3_40.eg.off. It is supposed to be a compound of 40 tetrahedra, but instead there are 60, with the extra 20 being coincident with half of the existing 40. S4xI_D2C2_12.off shows a similar problem.

Hey, I wouldn't like trying to make this one from paper: 30A.A5xI.C2xI.mu5.1col.off! Very Happy

Rob.
marcelteun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feed back Rob!
I put a new file with compounds of tetrahedra there with new versions of A5xI_C3_40.eg.off. and S4xI_D2C2_12.off. After I regenerated the zip file I noticed it contained 8 files more than before. I didn't check which files were extra.

Btw the archive does not contain any special positions for the compounds with rotational freedom, since I was not ready with them.
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcelteun wrote:
I noticed it contained 8 files more than before. I didn't check which files were extra.

Don't know what it means, but here are the extra files:
C6_E_6.eg.off
D12xI_C3_16.eg.off
D18D9_D3C3_6.off
D1xI_C2C1_2.eg.off
D2D1_D1C1_2.eg.off
D6_E_12.eg.off
D6C6_E_12.eg.off
D9xI_C3_12.eg.off

Mean anything to you?
Rob.
marcelteun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
C6_E_6.eg.off
Mean anything to you?

Sure, it was me who named all of them (but it was a while ago that I worked with this set and apparently I didn't have the last version on my site before)
The names are derived from Verheyen's notation, with the difference that I move the amount to the end of the name. The mapping is as follows:
Code:
nr | G / F   -> G_F_nr.off

For compounds with central or rotational freedom I just give an general example and then the name ends with .eg.off. The reason that I moved the nr of constituents to the end is that sorting on symmetry group gives a better order than sorting on the amount of constituents imho.

So C6_E_6.eg.off is a compound of 6 with a six fold cyclic symmetry with central freedom, ie. every symmetry operation of the symmetry group except E maps a constituent on another one. Verheyen's notation would be 6 | C6 / E and this is another example of n | Cn / E beside the 4 | C4 / E that was already in the previous archive.
marcelteun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last monday I was sick: I was lying in bed staring at my models of compounds of cubes and my mind wandered off. I thought that there should be a compound of containing 5 times a compound of six cubes (6 | S4 x I / D2 x I).

Yesterday evening (I felt much better then) I tried it and found myself looking at a compound that I seen before: 30A | A5 x I / C2 x I | mu_10
with mu_10 = pi/4
Veheyen's book "Symmetry Orbits" specifies that this compound consists of 15 x 2 | D4 x I / D2 x I
Apparently it is even more special.
It actually consists 5 x 6 | S4 x I / D2 x I

Nothing new really, but nice to know that even sickness has its advantages.
Wink

(I can post a picture later)
Gronkling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make octahedral and tetrahedral archimedian compounds from these by morph duals (Usually truncation). You can also facet them to make other uniform solids but its quite hard on complex polyhedra. (You probably already knew this but I just wanted to say Very Happy )
jos smits

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: compounds of tetrah octah cube Reply with quote

Hallo Marcel ! Many thanks for all the wonderful compounds you made. I wonder how you did it.... I opened them simply the way Robert suggested and had a hell of a good time after. Why not try a few a few more. Dodecah. Icosah...... Dankjewel. Jos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedra All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: