software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geometric Christmas Ornaments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be tempted to fork out $7 for this?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

RexEveryhting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Geometric Christmas Ornaments Reply with quote

I just thought I'd let you all know I took a passion of mine and monetized it, and I've been actually making a few sales with it.

They're very simple icosahedral templates really, but the patterns I designed across their faces have some M.C. Escher-like appeal to them, and the potential to create other interesting patterns is there for the buyer of my product.

I don't mean to make this a blatant advertisement for my book; I just thought you all would like to know that you can take your interest in 3D models and do something with it to monetize it. It CAN work.

have a look at http://free-craft-downloads.com and tell me what you think. I can take the criticism Smile
VERY formidable income
guy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, those are beautiful. I wish you all success.

What about offering other shapes, such as the stella octangula, rhombic dodecahedron and maybe even small stellated dodecahedron?
I have a large-ish model of a small stellated dodecahedron made of shiny golden card that I bring out every Christmas: just print the net on the back.
RexEveryhting

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Other shapes Reply with quote

Thank you Guy,

Yes, I had considered other shapes, although the main reason for my choice of icosahedra only was based on its attribute of having only equilateral triangles as its faces.

The surface design has always been my inspiration. By mapping a triangular grid across the surface, the possibilities of creating illusions of three dimensions are what matter to me.

The Celtic knot, M.C. Escher, and Islamic tilework design possibilies are what drive this particular effort.

I suppose there are other polyhedra that have only triangles (equilateral or otherwise) as their faces?

Thanks again,
Mitch
P.S. Watch for next year's products.
VERY formidable income
guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are many such polyhedra, known as deltahedra. See for example the Wikipedia
Deltahedron article.
RexEveryhting

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Ya live and ya learn Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks! I guess I just sorta stayed focused on one thing and never got out of the box.

Thanks for pointing that out,
Mitch
VERY formidable income
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: