MazeRunner

Discuss anything else relevant that doesn't fit into the other forums, such as ideas for new programs you think I should consider. Please, no spam, it will be deleted!
Alex Doskey

MazeRunner

Post by Alex Doskey » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:16 am

I sure would love to see a program that has you run around a maze constructed on the surface of a polyhedron. That would be really cool. Especially if you could subdivide the faces like you do in Minesweeper 3D.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:32 am

Interesting idea, and maybe not too hard given the code I already have to start with.

How do you see it working? Would the view be of the whole shape like in MineSweeper3D, with say the closest point (or a bit above) being your current position, then you turn and move with the mouse? Or would the view be close up, keeping the "walker" the right way up always?

Not sure how saleable another maze program would be though!
Rob.

Alex Doskey

Post by Alex Doskey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:02 pm

I like having both views available. The default view would be low enough to see only the "room" you are in, but when you get a bit lost and want some global info, you can "lift up" to get a view of the neighborhood (or whole side of the polyhedron, depending on how high you go). For more complex polyhedra (higher subdivision levels on minesweeper boards), it may be too difficult to run through from down low, and the higher view may be the one you need to run through. I like the idea of being able to leave a trail behind you to show where you have been (but you could turn it off if you want more of a challenge.

I would love to see a maze with all the same boards and subdivision levels that are in Minesweeper3D. As for marketability, you could add it as a package deal to get a higher sale price when purchased with Minesweeper3D. Each can be bought separately, or a bargain price when you get both. I would imagine there would be a good bit of overlap in the intended market, so people searching for either product would be exposed to both.

ddddyyyyy

Post by ddddyyyyy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:17 am

I agree with Alex Doskey

guy

Post by guy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 pm

robertw wrote:Not sure how saleable another maze program would be though!
Well, how saleable was yet another minesweeper program?

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:47 am

guy wrote:Well, how saleable was yet another minesweeper program?
Nowhere near enough!

Rob.

daniela

Post by daniela » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:20 pm

I would love a polyhedral maze. There are some apps for iPhone but just on cubes.

My opinion is that the 3D minesweeper is that it requires too much skill for the average casual player - and also too much luck. There is a free java applet with a torus minesweeper that I have played sometimes, and it's exasperating. I will probably buy the 3d minesweeper to support software3d, but I am not going to play it very much :)

AarushaPatel

Re: MazeRunner

Post by AarushaPatel » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:31 am

How would you see it functioning? Would the view be of the entire shape like in MineSweeper3D, with state the nearest point (or somewhat above) being your present position, at that point you turn and move with the mouse? Or then again would the view be close up, keeping the "walker" the correct far up consistently?