X Extension

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
Orangery

X Extension

Post by Orangery » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:08 pm

I have been going through some old files (3d polyhedrons) that were saved with an .x extension. I thought they were produced using the 'Small Stella' program but the software does not allow me to open them ('open file' is greyed out). In fact the 'save as' option is also greyed out. Can any one shed any light on this?

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:55 am

I don't know what .x is. Is it a text format?

If Open and Save As are greyed out, it sounds like you're using the demo version. The demo won't let you open or save files.

Rob.

Orangery

Post by Orangery » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:52 am

Yes it is the Demo version (I should have said) but I have never owned the full version. My files are supposedly 3D polyhedron models that I created with a program (thought it was Stella) some time ago. They are not images but there is probably information stored in the .x file so that I could (hopefully) display them again.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:40 am

They're not Stella files. Try opening one of them in notepad and see if it's readable text. It might include a clue about where it came from.

Rob.

Orangery

Post by Orangery » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:45 am

I have found out that the files were produced using 'Shapescape' which is not unlike 'Small Stella' I have since downloaded the software and viewed my files (they weren't that good anyway!). The program is fully functional but the demo version times out after 14 days. Anyway thanks for trying to help, Dave.