software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Archimedean polyhedra with missing faces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Archimedean polyhedra with missing faces Reply with quote

I am wondering if there might be someone out there who can help with a question I have.

If you take an Archimedean Polyhedron (say an Icosidodecahedron) and remove some of the polygon faces (say all of the pentagons), leaving the vertices, such that you make "holes", do these type of objects have systematic names, and where might I find out more information about them?

Question
guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think there is any serious mathematical approach to them, they are just symmetrical shapes which look a bit like polyhedra and have the same symmetries.

Technically they are finite bounded manifolds whose boundary is disjoint, but that applies to anything with holes punched through its surface.

But if you like making lampshades, they are much more interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedra All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: