Models, Exports and moving into STL format?

The place to talk about Stella4D, Great Stella, and Small Stella. Feel free to ask questions about them here.
jtakai

Models, Exports and moving into STL format?

Post by jtakai » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Hey everyone,
New user, love the software. My question is this:

Does anyone have experience outputting models into a format for printing on a 3D printer (rapid prototyping machine)? I have a dimension 3D printer and would like to output my models in a 3d solid form but can't find the best path to go from Stella (Great Stella) to .stl format. Anyone done this before?

Thanks,

JT

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi,

I wish I had a 3D printer! You can probably find a way to convert from .OBJ format to .STL, but I'm afraid I don't know how off-hand.

One tip: always export your model from the stellation view. In this view, only the externally visible parts of faces are exported, ie only the outer shell. Your 3D printer may have trouble with intersecting faces otherwise.

Maybe if you offer to send me some 3D printed models of my choosing then I could add the .STL export feature :wink:

Rob.

jtakai

Post by jtakai » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:09 pm

OK, I could consider doing that!
Let me know which models you are interested in having printed and I'll run some numbers on the time/FDM material it would take... Having a direct STL export function would be a nice addition!

Antlab

Post by Antlab » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi,
sorry to resume this old thread, but today I read again about Stella, and I am deciding for the purchase. But for me an important point would be the possiblity to export or directly in .stl or in a 3D format easily convertible in .stl, for 3D printing services.
How does the latest version of Stella handle the issue?
Thanks.

robertw
Site Admin

Post by robertw » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:32 pm

You're in luck, because as of version 5.0 Great Stella and Stella4D can now export 3D models directly to .STL format.

Antlab

Post by Antlab » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Very good news,
thanks a lot.