software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rectified Polyhedra

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pauly1060

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Rectified Polyhedra Reply with quote

I have great stella and would like to make rectified polyhedra from a parent polyhedron, twisting the pentagon faces of a dodecahedron for example, so that they are point to point instead of back to back and adding an additional triangle face to make an icosidodecahedron. Do I have to do this with truncation or is there a rectification button?
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectified Polyhedra Reply with quote

There's no specific button for it in 3D, although in 4D you can use "4D->Rectify". Rectification is only really possible when a polyhedron has a midsphere, otherwise you have to do something that isn't quite rectification. But yes you can do it easily enough by going to the Morph Duals by Truncation view, jumping to 50% (Ctrl+Right-click, if not already at 50%), then making this the new base model with the left-and-down button at the top of that view.

By the way, after rectifying a dodecahedron, the pentagons have effectively rotated with respect to where they started, but opposite ones are still not aligned (since they both rotated).
Pauly1060

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Ah so you can't rectify any polyhedron Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, I think I found out where I was going wrong. I do use the 50% truncation method but was struggling with some models. By mid-sphere do you mean mid points of faces are the same distance from the centre.
robertw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The midsphere is the one that just touches each edge. That is the edges are tangent to it. I presume it's called the midsphere because it lies somewhere between the circumsphere which touches the vertices and the insphere which the facial planes are tangent to.

The points where edges touch the midsphere become new vertices after rectification.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedra All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: