software3d.com Forum Index software3d.com
Software3D Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you see what this is ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Kane

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Can you see what this is ? Reply with quote

I'm sure that most of you saw it straight away, but it had me fooled until after I'd finished it. It is a compound of ten cubes, but I was convinced at first that it was a compound of only five - until I twigged that there were some corners missing. The ten cubes are aligned with the five incomplete cubes that I thought I was seeing.

I stumbled upon this when playing "the stellation game" with Stella, with a triacontahedron as base. I don't know how long I'd been clicking at this point, but I think it was about 20 or 30 stellations in.

Hope you like it. It looks very good next to a compound of five tetrahedra in the same colours.

Pete K
guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten cubes? Aren't there four of each colour, making 4 x 5 = 20 in all?
Peter Kane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
Ten cubes? Aren't there four of each colour, making 4 x 5 = 20 in all?

Yes, you are quite right ! How could I possibly think that there were 10 ?
Well spotted, Guy.

Pete K
oxenholme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This polyhedron is one of 5 that I intend to make.

Its tetrahedral equivalent is a stellation of the regular dodecahedron. I made it last year.

Its octahedral and cubic equivalents are both stellations of the pentagonal icositetrahedron. I made both a year or two ago.

Its icosahedral equivalent is a stellation of the pentagonal hexecontahedron. No doubt it will be a pain to make. I'm not sure whether it can be made using 5 colours.

This one is a stellation of the rhombic triacontahedron - I'm going to make it using 15 colours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    software3d.com Forum Index -> Polyhedron Models All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: